Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Question #1

Question #1
Your Hair Is Everywhere

Why am I so drawn to cutting hair? There's little I like more than sinking a slightly dulled paired of scissors into my luscious locks. I'm having an affair, and it is with all the Mr. Baldies in my life. The patches on my head where I cut off a little too much. You've seen them: the clump of bang on the right side of my head that's half an inch shorter than the rest of my hair, the spot behind my head where you can see some scalp. There have never been finer beings.

This degree of pleasure I get from this doesn't surprise me one bit. It's just so refreshing--having hair, deciding it needs to be cut, and then having it all gone half an hour later. There have been times in my life where, in the middle of having guest over, I excuse myself to the bathroom and cut off all my hair.

It's immensely satisfying to clean up all the bits of hair on the sink and floor. It's fun to see how differently it styles depending on its length, though slightly frustrating how fickle it is as it grows. Once it's grown out a little and all the bald spots disappear, there is usually a two week period where it looks just divine. Then, have the urge to get out the scissors and chop it off again.

Really, it's a pretty big decision, cutting your hair. Hair, in my opinion, completely changes a person's look. However, it's one thing that I can be impulsive about but easily recover from when things go poorly. If you know me, you know I love the impulses: $80 on fancy underwear, tattooing myself, switching majors to computer science, getting an exotic piercing, pursuing game design, pushing tourists down wells. These are all probably things I should think about for longer than 5 minutes, but I usually don't.

It gives me the same satisfaction as picking a scab. The more I touch it, the worse it will be and the longer I will take to recover it, but I just can't stop. Maybe there's some decay in my brain that causes it. Let's hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment